Friday, September 29, 2006

Why do leaves turn colors in the fall?

Why do leaves turn color in the fall?"New England enjoys some of the most intense fall colors thanks to its almost pure stands of a few types of trees that all turn color at the same time. Trees are not the only thing that contribute to a colorful autumn, though. Shrubs like burning bush and sumac, and even weeds like poison ivy can paint the roadsides brilliant colors in fall. In Maine, the blueberry barrens turn a phenomenal fiery red. "

My favorite about.com author, Deborah Fowles, explains it all in simple terms. Despite growing up in New Hampshire, where the boasts of brilliant colors are actually being modest, I always forget just why the leaves change color...

Enjoy learning, and do me a favor? Press one of those red sugar maple leafs for me! I miss fall in New England.

No comments: