Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Science at Mussel Cove

I named our cottage "Mussel Cove" last spring in an effort to give it identity. The place sits on a cove (known as White's Cove on the nautical charts, but no one calls it this locally. I even ordered the book Murder at Mussel Cove, a new mystery, from Amazon figuring it will make a fun read for me and my guests. To keep a handle on online mentions of my place I have a Google Alert for "mussel cove" - basically Google sends me an email with links to anything that shows up with those words in it. Pretty simple compared to my old days in marketing when only the biggest companies could afford to keep track of the news through much slower, but similar industry alerts.

Low and behold, but this one appears in my inbox tonight: Purdue chemist 'mussels' in on secrets of natural adhesives. I just couldn't resist clicking through, because in a former life I was, well, a chemist, and clearly, I love the ocean and am fascinated by marine life (with better guidance in high school and college, I would have been a marine biologist or chemical oceanographer...but that's another blog).

If you're interested in the amazing potential of those pesky, and to many, delicious little guys hanging all over my dock and rocks do take a few minute to read article in the link - it is in language we can all understand.

No comments: